The formula in this post is working on Sucragel CF – INCI is Glycerin (and) Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (and) Aqua (and) Sucrose Laurate. It is both an emulsifier and a thickener. Sucragel is an easy-to-use liquid natural oil thickening agent and cold process emulsifier, which is perfect for clear gel-to-milk cleansers. It allows you to make many different cosmetic products at room temperature. You can also heat it to 80c with any butters or waxes. Adding waxes or butters will not change the viscosity of the finished product. The tropical usage is 5–10% as an oil-in-emulsifier, and at 20–25% to create oil gels.
Using sucragel is an easy option for making rinse-off oily gels, which will produce a cleansing oil gel with high viscosity, turning from oil into milk when rinsed with water.
The challenge using sucragel is probably the long process to add a small amount of oils to sucragel and continue stirring. You need to stir and pace out, adding many small batches of oils and stirring in-between using an electric beater. It is very important to stir well with each addition of oils. It will go thicker until it reaches its final viscosity. For small batch up to 100g, you will not need an overhead stirrer or propeller mixer.
It does not matter what Sucragel you use, they all require the same technique. The only difference is that your ratios of sucragel : oil will be different. You would need to use a ratio of between 25:75 to 20:80 sucragel to oil.
How To Make Oil Cleansing Gel – Key Ingredients
Almond oil is very lubricating, making it suitable for massage and protecting the surface of the skin. It keeps skin soft and supple, is also great for regenerating skin cells because it penetrates damaged cells and softens them, allowing for better hydration.
Grapeseed oil has a high content of Omega 6, which means that it does not feel greasy on the skin. It is rich in Vitamin E, which helps tighten and moisturize the skin. A non-allergenic, astringent oil, reduces inflammation, redness, and accelerates the healing of acne.
Sunflower oil contains vitamins E, A and D as well as several different minerals. Sunflower oil is a light, moisturizing oil that is effective in massage blends or as the base for light creams. Most skin types respond well to sunflower oil as it helps keep your skin balanced and moisturized.
Palmarosa essential oil enhances any skin types. It regulates the production of sebum or oil, restores, and maintains water balance. It stimulates sebum production and helps to replenish moisture. When it is used regularly, it stimulates the regeneration of cells, discourages wrinkles, heals wounds and sores, and soothes inflamed or irritated skin.
Roman Chamomile essential oil soothes dry or sensitive skin. Incorporating Roman Chamomile essential oil will help you utilize the soothing benefits of Roman Chamomile while promoting youthful-looking skin.
It is advisable to add an antioxidant i.e. Vitamin E to extend the shelf life of your oils.
Oil Cleansing Gel
Tools & Equipment Needed
0.1g / 0.01g digital weighing scales
An electric hand mixer
- 10 g Sucragal | 20%
- Weigh the Sucragel ingredients into a small, high-edged bowl so you can use an electric hand mixer
- Weigh the oils into a small beaker
- Beat the Sucragel with your hand an electric mixer until it is white
- Use a disposable pipette to add oil into the bowl of sucragel. Beat for at least 30 seconds, and add another pipette of oil. Repeat, beating continuously.
- The mixture will thickens and viscosity will increase, continuing to beat thoroughly between additions.
- Once all the oils incorporated, weigh the final phase ingredients into the empty oil container and add gradually into the mixture. You can do this divided into four even-ish sized additions. Beat thoroughly between additions.
- Add mica for aesthetic as it is totally optional! Transfer the cleansing oil gel into a jar.
- If this oil cleansing gel does not contain water, and is almost certain to be contaminated with water as you use it, you need to us a broad-spectrum preservative to ward off microbial growth. In the event, you notice any change in colour, scent, or texture, chuck it out and make a fresh batch.
- A formula should be written in a percentage of ingredients as well as grams. Our popular formulation calculator can be used to convert from percentages to weight easily. It also gives you warning alert if any of the category ingredients are out of recommended range to make sure the ratios between the ingredients are as desired.
- You can replace the oil phase with other carrier oils.
- If you want to add fragrance, add them to the oil phase.
- You may turn this oil cleansing into gel scrub by adding exfoliants, powders etc. It is better to add them when you have finished making the gel as you want them to be suspended.