Here’s how you can perform a simple patch test to see if a particular face or hair product is safe for you.
- Wash a small area on the inside of your arm and wipe it clean. Choose a time when you have just taken a shower so you won’t have to wet this area again for some time.
- Apply a small amount of the cosmetic product you plan to buy, use a spatula or a clean, dry table knife.
- Cover the area with a waterproof adhesive bandage that has an adhesive area all around the edge, not just at the sides. If the adhesive tapes peel off, the process will have to repeated.
- Allow 24 hours and then carefully peel off the tape. Any redness, itching or rash – even a single pimple – indicates that you are allergic to something in this particular product.
- To be absolutely sure, wipe the area clean and apply the remaining amount of the product from the sample. Cover it with a new tape and wait for 24 hours. If the reaction persists, don’t buy the product.