Tools & Equipment Needed
0.1g / 0.01g digital weighing scales
- 4.6 g Lanolin | 23%
- 4 g Castor Oil | 20%
- 3 g beeswax | 15%
- 3 g jojoba oil | 15%
- 2.2 g coconut oil | 11%
- 2 g Refined Shea Butter | 10%
- 0.8 g Candelilla Wax | 4%
Cool Down Phase
- Prepare a water bath by bringing about 3cm/1″ of water to a bare simmer over low to medium-low heat in a small saucepan.
- Weigh the lanolin, wax, oils, and butter in a small heat-resistant beaker. Place the beaker in your prepared water bath to melt everything through. If you do not have a glass beaker, use an aluminium bowl placed in a pan filled with warm water.
- Once everything has melted, mix well with a spoon, or a flexible silicone spatula.
- Remove the water bath from the heat, remove the beaker from the water bath
- Add the vitamin E, vegetable dye, and essential oil, and stir to incorporate.
- Pour the lip balm into tubes or tins
- Let it cool down and solidify before capping
- Make sure you wipe down the aluminium tins with some paper towel to peel away any oil on your tubes.
- This recipe will fill 3 standard 5g aluminium tins.
- Because this lip balm is 100% oil-based, it does not require a broad-spectrum preservative (broad spectrum preservatives ward off microbial growth, and microbes require water to live—no water, no microbes!).
- A formula should be written in a percentage of ingredients as well as grams. Our popular formulation calculator can be used to convert from percentages to weight easily. It also gives you warning alert if any of the category ingredients are out of recommended range to make sure the ratios between the ingredients are as desired.
- The shelf life of this lip balm is about 1 year, depending on the shelf life of the oils and butters you have used. It does not need to be refrigerated, keep in reasonably cool and dry. If you notice it starts to smell like old nuts, that is a sign that the oils have begun to oxidize; dispose of it and make a fresh batch.
- DO NOT substitute the lanolin, beeswax, or castor oil.
- A good substitute for coconut oil is babassu oil.
- You can replace jojoba oil with sunflower oil or camellia seed oil.
- Alternative or substitute for candelilla wax will be carnauba wax.
- The colour dye and essential oil are optional, and if you don’t wish to use any, increase the percentage for carrier oils.